02 03 Nerd Lunch: Oddly Shaped Dice 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Oddly Shaped Dice

34
I started played old-school pen-and-paper RPGs when I was around twelve years old. I did the old Marvel Superhero game, then first edition AD&D, then Top Secret S.I. and AD&D 2nd Edition . . . over time, I transitioned from playing every week (circa 1989) to playing every year or so. But a lot of my nerdly musings still take the form of . . . this would make a great one-shot (i.e., a game session which is not intended to lead to subsequent follow-up adventures). And in that spirit . . .

Pulp Era Tournament Fighter

I'm a big fan of martial arts movies, particularly "Enter the Dragon", and of pre-war pulp adventure, so this is a natural. The idea would be to take the familiar trapping of the tournament fighter genre and pulp it up --- lost cities, Tibetan masters, Fu Manchu, etc. Sort of like Jean-Claude Van Damme's "The Quest" but with better execution. Ideally, this would be a multiple part adventure, as the heroes travel from San Francisco to Shanghai, across Central China to the Lost City of Shangri-La. It might make sense to start with an all-American cast of characters (a boxer, an ex-Legionnaire savatuer, a Chinese-American Shaolin master, maybe an Olympic wrestling champ) and have them move into increasingly unknown territory.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38