02 03 Nerd Lunch: (Nerd) Lunch Special: The Aspen Burger 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Aspen Burger

34
Several years ago while I was working at the comic book store, I would occasionally get some food from a place across the street. At the time, the place was called "The No Name Saloon." It had been several things previous to that, and it's been several things since. "No Name" was one of those hole-in-the-wall places where the ambiance wasn't that great, but the food was pretty good. Definitely a "call ahead, run in, get your food, get out" kind of place.

It was here I was introduced to something called the Aspen Burger. That was the only thing I ever got there. It was a 1/4 lb. burger topped with a thick slice of cream cheese and crumbled bacon. That's it. A hamburger topped with cream cheese and bacon. Appalling, right? No, not because of the lack of additional ingredients. Not because it takes a year off the end of your life just by smelling it. It was appalling because I had never thought of it up until that point.

I've done some googling. There are several places out there that have an Aspen Burger. It looks like most of them have blue cheese, mushrooms, or plenty of other interesting toppings. The Beef House in Convington, Ind. is the only place I found that has what I consider to be a true Aspen Burger.

Of course, if you don't want to make the trek to Indiana (and really, why would you?) you can make one for yourself. It's simple. I made one for myself just tonight.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38