02 03 Nerd Lunch: Signing the Cast: Star Trek Reboot 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Signing the Cast: Star Trek Reboot

34
Setting aside the debate about whether a reboot of Trek should be done at all (and it's something I haven't decided about myself), if a reboot is to be done, the casting is key to the relaunch being successful. Ultimately, what made Classic Trek work as well as any of the other shows that did work was the chemistry between the characters. It doesn't take great actors, it just takes the right ones.

As I've followed the casting rumors and news, I've questioned some of the casting decisions. With the exception of Simon Pegg as Scotty, most of the casting choices have seems like "pretty boy" casting. That's not to say pretty boys can't act, but well, they usually can't.

So, here are my casting choices for a reboot. Some of these are borrowed ideas from message boards I've read over the past few years. Others are my own ideas. But, I could see this cast working solidly together much like the original crew.

Clicking the images make them appear larger...

Captain James T. Kirk : Mark Wahlberg


Commander Spock : Josh Hartnett


Dr. Leonard McCoy : Gary Sinise


Lt. Montgomery "Scotty" Scott : Paul McGillion
(This one's for you PLee)


Lt. Hikaru Sulu : Daniel Dae Kim


Lt. Uhura : Aisha Tyler


Ensign Chekov : Jared Padalecki
(This one is for you Wiisty)



So, as we comment on this post, I'm up for debating not only the cast, but the pros and cons of a Star Trek reboot? Should one be done at all? If so, what do you think of the cast they've been lining up? Who would you choose instead?

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38