02 03 Nerd Lunch: You were my Doctor... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

You were my Doctor...

34
The new Doctor Who series has impressed me. I think it achieves everything the original wanted to be and more. But it acknowledges respectfully that it owes a great deal to what came before it.

Growing up, I would occasionally catch an episode of Doctor Who featuring Tom Baker or John Pertwee on PBS. But when I really tried to get into it, Peter Davison had taken over the role and I saw a majority of his run when it initially ran on PBS. And despite Doctor Who being one of those things I liked as a kid and pretty much loathe as an adult, something stoked the fires tonight.

On YouTube, I just watched the 7-minute Doctor Who special where the current (10th) Doctor meets Peter Davison, the fifth Doctor.

The special opens quickly with a time catastrophe starting and in the control room of the TARDIS, Peter Davison shows up. After solving the problem, David Tennant delivers a beautifully written monologue, a fan letter of sorts, to Peter Davison. Nearing the end, Tennant says, "'Cuz you know what Doctor? You were my Doctor." And I realized that even if adult-CT doesn't like Doctor Who, somewhere inside was kid-CT screaming, "Yes! He's my Doctor, too!"


To days to come. All my love to long ago.

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38