Imaginary Band: Are You With Me, Dr. Wu?


I have a lot of imaginary bands, but only one real band . . . the Doctor Wu Rock & Soul Review, spreading classic Stax / Motown soul to the people of downstate Illinois since 1993. I left the band in 2000 and the whole thing's been on hiatus for five or six years, with periodic one-off revivals.

Aaaand then my old trumpet player got the cancer a few months back, and I decided to get the band back together for a benefit gig, which is happening January 26 at Brian's Place in Mattoon.

Fifteen musicians, give or take, including a six-piece horn section. It will be glorious, or a train wreck, or both.

4 comments:

Jeeg said...

This will be my first chance to see you or Dr. Wu in musical action and I'm looking forward to it. Whether it's glorious or a train wreck, it should be a great time. Now I just have to get my James Brown cape back from the cleaners.

CT said...

While it's not the same, I did go to a show once where The Poprocks performed. The highlight of the night was when they asked PLee to join them on stage for a throwback to the Dr. Wu days.

Then I saw the Becca Kaid show a few months later. No PLee sax performance there, but he did introduce the band, and that was fun.

PLee said...

Y'know, I knew Jeeg had never seen Wu, but I couldn't remember whether CT had.

It used to be a great band. No false modesty here --- I was the worst player in the group. A passable singer, and I gradually developed a little bag of tricks on the saxophone, but I really started to see the master of ceremonies role as my main contribution. A lot of people don't like to do that between-song banter and intros and such.

PLee said...

I got a little warmup last night --- the local music shop had a late Christmas party, and so I sang and blew some sax on three tunes with my old lead singer. Not great, but not too shabby.

Copyright © Nerd Lunch