02 03 Nerd Lunch: (Nerd) Lunch Special: McDonald's Southern Style Chicken Sandwich 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

(Nerd) Lunch Special: McDonald's Southern Style Chicken Sandwich

34
Yard bird - Southern style

McDonald's newest additions to their national menu are a pair of "southern style" chicken sandwiches which had previously only been offered regionally: a biscuit for breakfast and a dinner/lunch sandwich. As I've mentioned before, McDonald's is not my favorite fast food joint, but some free sandwich coupons from our friends at Amazon were enough to lure me in. Touché, Ronald, your ploy worked.

I've never lived in the South, but apparently "southern style" is a euphemism for plain. My dinner sandwich consisted of the bun, a hunk of chicken, two pickle slices, and nothing more. From the marketing materials, the breakfast sandwich appears even more basic: a piece chicken on a biscuit. McDonald's is touting the sandwiches as so perfect in simplicity that no adornment is needed. I'll give them credit, the chicken was very tender and juicy as advertised. The seasoning was surprisingly reserved and nothing like the MSG overkill that I was expecting (I'm looking at you KFC).

Despite the positives, this Northern boy needs some of those aforementioned adornments. I'd suggest adding mayo and lettuce, but that would turn this sandwich into a $3.50 variant of the Dollar Value Menu McChicken. All in all not a bad sandwich, but not something worth passing over a Big Mac for.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38