02 03 Nerd Lunch: Consider the Source 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Consider the Source

34

Empire Magazine did a write up that I read today revealing details on four scenes from next year's Star Trek film from J.J. Abrams. Up until now, I've been cautiously optimistic about this project. As I read the article, I realized that I have too much baggage and will likely be unable to enjoy this film.

It's all about the source material. There are certain things I don't care if you mess with. A drastic reboot of Battlestar Galactica where Starbuck was reimagined as a female...that I can handle, even wound up liking better (sorry Dirk Benedict, if you're reading this blog). Organic webbing in the Spider-Man movies...that I can handle. The Force is somehow harnessed through "midichlorians" or whatever...that I just don't care enough to handle.

Mess with the Muppets, mess with Superman or mess with Star Trek and I'm out.

I'm all for watching things with an open mind. Don't make a judgment about a movie you haven't seen or a book you haven't read and all that. For the most part, I agree. But we nerds have to be honest with ourselves. Our little nerd hearts are sometimes already spoken for. I'm already 'married' to Star Trek as it was. I want to settle down and grow old with that Star Trek. Sure, maybe the new Star Trek is young and pretty, but that's not my Star Trek. That's another man's Star Trek. And it's not for me.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38