02 03 Nerd Lunch: Be Seeing You 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Be Seeing You

34
While only 17 episodes (and of those, only 10 or so are good), the original Prisoner was compelling, thought-provoking television that came way ahead of its time. Patrick McGoohan produced, wrote and starred in this series about a former spy who was brought to a village in order to learn some secrets. It was very high-concept and had just the right type of eccentricity to inspire a cult-following.

While I don't consider myself a rabid fan, I do have a great respect for the series and think it to be the precursor to a great deal of television we have today. For example, without The Prisoner, we wouldn't have Lost. While I do have tremendous respect for it, I also have some issues with it. Mainly with the ending. I won't spoil it other than to say it left a lot to be desired.

After Doctor Who was successfully relaunched in 2005, the thought of a modern-day Prisoner reboot crossed my mind. And indeed there has been talk of a couple movie versions that never panned out. Now, AMC has finally released some footage from their upcoming remake of The Prisoner.

This footage winds up being a bit too long to be a great trailer, but it shows all the right things: What the new Village looks like, the rover, Number Six, Number Two, and most importantly, "I'm not a number, I'm a free man." I'm anxious to see this series and hope for a better conclusion this time around. With the star power behind this, I also hope the poignancy and gravitas comes with this series just like it did with the original.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38