02 03 Nerd Lunch: The Internet on Your TV, More or Less 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Internet on Your TV, More or Less

34

A couple months back I followed CT into the realm of HDTV. I ended up with a Samsung 6 series LCD TV. It’s a great TV, but it has one feature that is half-baked: the Internet@TV widgets.

widgets!

The basic premise is that you can press a button on the remote and bring up a range of Internet content through the same Yahoo! widgets that are available on a PC. Not a bad idea on paper, but I’m don’t think the developers or the designers of my TV thought this all the way through.

  1. My TV doesn’t have a 3 GHz CPU under the hood, so a tricked out interface means that navigating between onscreen items can take 3-5 seconds. Not fun.
  2. My TV doesn’t have a keyboard, so entering a YouTube search or a 140 character tweet using the laggy onscreen interface is excruciating.
  3. There isn’t a general web browser widget, so I can’t view any links in tweets, news stories, or YouTube data.

It’s a decent enough attempt by the folks at Yahoo! and Samsung. Though as CT likes say to say about movie scripts, “it’s a rewrite away”.

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38