02 03 Nerd Lunch: (Nerd) Lunch Special: In-N-Out Burger 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

(Nerd) Lunch Special: In-N-Out Burger

34

I've never been to California and really have no desire to go. I’m OK with that because the list of downsides to my aversion to the Golden State is pretty short:

  1. I’ll never attend a taping of Conan O’Brien’s Tonight Show
  2. I’ll never see the giant sequoias in person
  3. I’ll never have the opportunity to try one of the west coast's most celebrated fast food experiences, In-N-Out Burger

As it happens, In-N-Out is slowly expanding their territory to the east and I did not have to go to California to sample their fare. So thanks to some holiday travel and our friends at NBC, General Sherman now stands alone on my California list.

Jeeg's Double-Double In-N-Out has always intrigued me because it seems to be one of the few local favorites that is universally praised. Whether it be Chicago style pizza or Philly cheesesteak, locals are often quick to point out something better or more authentic than the famous items offered to tourists. In-N-Out Burger, however, seems to be beloved by locals, tourists, and celebrities alike.

The In-N-Out menu is pretty simple: hamburger, cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, fries, and drinks. You can also do a grill order or pick something off the "secret menu”, but as a newbie I decided to keep things straightforward. I opted for the Double-Double, so I could use familiar double cheeseburgers, say the Wendy's Classic Double or the Culver's Double Deluxe, as frames of reference.

The meat seemed most comparable to McDonald's Angus Third Pounders. The beef was slightly better than even the best McDonald’s has to offer, but the flavor was similar to the classic fried burger taste that all McD’s burgers have. The toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion) were the freshest I’ve seen in fast food and quite tasty. Though I have to say it was strange to have special sauce (Thousand Island dressing) on something other than a Big Mac. The french fries were excellent; fresh cut fries just cannot be beat.

All in all, In-N-Out Burger delivered a very good hossin’ experience. It was not the best burger I have ever eaten, but it was definitely top tier. To quote a famous Californian, “I’ll be back.”

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38