Nerd Year Resolutions


I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions. I get the premise and don't begrudge people who try, but I know myself and I hate failing, so I don't generally even try. However, that's not to say that I don't believe in bettering one's self. I have made efforts to do just that in the last couple years. Unfortunately, my three biggest recent achievements have drastically cut into my nerdin'.

In 2008, my wife and I went through the Dave Ramsey program and worked on tightening up our finances and getting more secure. This resulted in finally doing a budget that pointed out a lack of the amount of money I'd like to spend on nerd stuff. However, I've been fortunate to get quite a bit through gifts or selling stuff so I'm not really left wanting for much, but I'd always like more.

The major issue I've had is time. Last year I applied, was accepted and began grad school. A major achievement, but on top of a full-time job and family, I'll give you three guesses what gets cut when it comes to things I get to spend my time on--that's right, nerdin'. Maybe this is why I've gravitated back into action figure collecting. It's a hobby that I can somewhat passively participate in. I don't need two hours to sit and watch and action figure like I do a movie.

And if that's not enough, I've really cut back on my eating. Not that you'd know it looking at the CT's Hossin' Logs I recently posted on the Facebook, but in the past few months, I've really cut back on the eating. It's possible that has come about as a domino effect of my other self-improvements...a result of stress from the workload or just budgeting less meals out and the purchase of fewer snacks.

So as I look ahead to 2010, I wonder what I'll have to say on this blog. I don't spend the money or time on this stuff nearly as much as I'd like. And I guess that's sort of the premise of the blog. I'm not alone in this. All three of us are in similar situations when it comes to time and money. That aside, I don't know what I'm going to say on this blog, but I'm going to think of something to say. Nerdin' and this blog are a great outlet and as my limitations increase, I'll come up with ways around them. I'll have to.

And I can tell you that two of those ways will be through using shorter messages via the Twitter and the Facebook. So look for us in those venues for the complete Nerd Lunch Collection.

With so much on my plate already, I don't intend to take on more for 2010, I just hope to try to do it all a little bit better. What are your plans for the New Year? Any big plans to better yourself? Any great plans for your own nerdin'? Let us know. We'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Jeeg said...

Can you say second trip to the Mustard Museum?

Oh yeah, and maybe I'll get around to posting my review of Avatar before December.

Bill Wiist, bwiist2008@yahoo.com said...

Sounds like you're becoming me. Except with hair, som fancy house pants and new shoes.

Bill Wiist, bwiist2008@yahoo.com said...

Oh, and a degree. I probably need to get started on that. Thanks for the reminder.

Copyright © Nerd Lunch