Signing the Cast: Buckaroo Banzai


Welcome to the 300th post on the Nerd Lunch blog. I love doing these Signing the Casts, they can just be a bit time consuming. But I thought it might make a good entry as our anniversary post especially considering the love PLee and I have for this particular movie (sorry, Jeeg). You know the premise so let's jump right in...

Buckaroo Banzai came out in 1982 and was a massively huge hit. So huge in fact that it hardly made any money and to this day only has a cult following. I've written about Buckaroo Banzai before and a bit of my history with it. Ultimately, I'm at a place where I don't want anymore Buckaroo Banzai and I don't want a remake. But should they ever make a new Buckaroo Banzai of some kind, I think it would be the perfect vehicle for some fan favorite stars from the nerd genre to land.

VIGGO MORTENSEN as "DR. BUCKAROO BANZAI"
Aragorn himself needs a new franchise and this could be it. Quiet, reserved, thoughtful, and twenty steps ahead of everyone else in the world, Mortensen would make an excellent Buckaroo Banzai.



ADAM BALDWIN as "RAWHIDE"
Tough guy with a bit of an attitude, Adam Baldwin can take a break from his gig on Chuck to film this role.



KATEE SACKHOFF as "PENNY PRIDDY"
In the movie, Penny was kind of messed up for some strange reason. Katee Sackoff can play messed up as we've seen in Battlestar Galactica.



CHRIS PINE as "PERFECT TOMMY"
With that New Star Trek thingie, Chris Pine might be too much of a leading man now for a supporting role like this.



SETH ROGEN as "NEW JERSEY"
Again, Seth Rogen's star may be too high for this role, but I think he could bring the needed goofballness to this movie.



RALPH MACCHIO as "RENO NEVADA"
A choice better than Scott Baio, but not by much, how about the Karate Kid himself as this main support staffer of Dr. Banzai's?

3 comments:

Jeeg said...

No need to apologize. I don't get BB and I've come to accept that.

What about Dr. Lizardo?

Christian said...

I need to revisit this film. It's been quite awhile. I remember the group had secret agents/fan club members in the field and that John Lithgow put out a stellar performance as the villain. Also, much like the end of Remo Williams, a big tease for a sequel that would never be.

CT said...

Hey Christian, I heard that you recently revisited this film!

Copyright © Nerd Lunch