02 03 Nerd Lunch: Test of Time: I Like to Hurt People 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Test of Time: I Like to Hurt People

34

Hurt hurt hurt, stretch it nowIn high school my buddies and I rented a lot of movies, but unlike most we actually sought ought weird and bad flicks. Nam Angels, Make Them Die Slowly, The Blood of Heroes, Gymkata, and the list goes on. If it was questionable and on VHS, we we probably watched and enjoyed it.

One of the gems we discovered nestled in the wrestling section of our local video store was a little film called I Like to Hurt People. I was so gonzo for this movie that I procured my own copy when the video store refused to sell me theirs. I recently took that venerable tape for a spin for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

I Like to Hurt People centers on the mayhem caused by infamous heel wrestler, The Sheik (Ed Farhat) in Detroit during the late 1970s. A number of big name wrestlers of the era also show up including Dusty Rhodes, Andre the Giant, Dick the Bruiser, Terry Funk, Ox Baker, Abdullah the Butcher, and Bobo Brazil. It's part in-ring action, part kayfabe documentary, and part horribly acted vignettes featuring a fictitious Stop The Sheik (STS) protest movement.

My reaction now is the same as it was back in high school. The flick is weird, disjointed, and the soundtrack is completely cheesy, but I love it anyway. I Like to Hurt People clearly passes the test of time for me. I guess it’s time to assess the options for replacing that VHS tape.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38