There are two lights at the end of the tunnel...and they're Sgt. Slaughter's aviator sunglasses!


When Hasbro started the G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary line a few years ago, I thought they were awesome, but I hesitated getting into it until I saw that the line really took off. At this point, I have a pretty decent sized collection. More than I planned to get. Probably more than I should have gotten. But, that's not to say I don't want more. As I peruse lists of classic figures or look at my own vintage figures, I think about how a Lifeline, Crazylegs, or Airtight would be great to have. Or decent versions of Cover Girl, Footloose, and Law & Order rather than the movie-style figures we got.

Two figures I never dreamed we would get were the figures based on real people. While there was a rumor that The Fridge might be a mail-in, Doc won out instead. And with wrestling licenses including Sgt. Slaughter, there seemed to be little hope that Sarge would ever get made by Hasbro for this line.

Somehow, that changed and as an exclusive for the 2010 San Diego Comic Con (unfortunately, the NLCC couldn't swing this deal), Hasbro sold two different Sgt. Slaughter action figures. Upon hearing the news, I knew that I had to get one. Sarge was one of my favorite figures growing up.

There was no guarantee that Hasbro would sell these separate from the convention and I wasn't really looking forward to battling other crazy folk like me on eBay. So I put the call out on Twitter to see if any of my followers weren't annoyed by me enough to swing by the Hasbro booth and pick one up for me.

And the third nicest guy in the world, @CapSteveRogers, answered the call and did just that.


There were two versions and I specifically requested the version that matched my vintage version rather than the one dubbed "Triple T" that went with the Triple T Tank.


This figure came carded on the 25th Anniversary style cards and was in a G.I. Joe clamshell case. I planned on opening him all along, but upon seeing it in the package, I briefly considered leaving him in his prison. But what prison can hold Sgt. Slaughter?! None, I say. So, free him I did.


As for accessories, he comes with a removable whistle, his baton, a mic, a G.I. Joe wrestling championship belt, and a stand. The variant came with a gun.

All in all, a great figure. While I'm not a big fan of exclusives in general, under the special circumstances with rights and licenses, I appreciate the effort Hasbro made to make this happen. Very well done. Now, let's see The Fridge for 2011.

More pics...

5 comments:

Shawn Robare said...

You lucky bastard. Seriously, though I totally bought into the 25th anniversary line, and for once it was almost exclusively for the card art. I love the way these toys look in the package, it just brings back so many memories of starring at the pegs in my local Playword or Toys R Us back in the day.

There are so many figures I wanted to see, Dialtone, Lifeline, and Sci-Fi in particular, but I also wanted a Sarge (mostly because he was generally a mail-away in the old line and I wanted to see him on the card.)

Unfortunately I'm also a cheapskate and I can't spend more than $7-8 dollars on figures or else I'm afraid of having a stroke...

CT said...

Thanks, Shawn.

The card art for Joes were awesome and largely unavailable as their own pieces. I had some trading cards many years ago that were created by using card art and stills from one of the cartoon movies. To my knowledge, that was the only place you could see the character pieces unobstructed by the other things on the card (logos, spot for figure, hole punch, etc.).

When I first got sucked into collecting this line, I was just going to get a few of my favorites. Little did I realize, they're all my favorite. I have spent more money on this collection than I had intended, but with everything else I have going on in my life, it's the perfect hobby for me.

Here's a quick phone shot of one of my Joe shelves:
http://twitpic.com/2bvlr5

I've got a Cobra shelf and then a bunch of my duplicates have spilled over onto a third shelf.

Jeeg said...

That is awesome.

The championship belt makes the ensemble for me. I can only assume it was Sarge vs The Fridge in the finals match to crown the GI Joe champion.

Christian said...

That's exactly what I was thinking Jeeg. I didn't realize there was a GI JOE wrestling federation. Unless Sarge is just wrestling himself? Well that sounded just awful. Never mind.

CT said...

There are a lot of things about G.I. Joe that make less sense than the fact they have a wrestling federation.

I imagine Roadblock and Gung-ho would do pretty decent if they were entered in the wrestling tournament. They'd probably ban Snake Eyes from participating for fear he'd use the vibrating palm technique or some other ninja move.

For as odd as both the inclusion of Sarge and the Fridge are, the one that would have been odder is the inclusion of Rocky Balboa. Thankfully that never panned out because I can't reconcile the Rocky movies with G.I. Joe.

Copyright © Nerd Lunch