02 03 Nerd Lunch: The "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" Slayer 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" Slayer

34
Let me state up front that sight unseen, I have no interest in or intention to watch a Buffy, The Vampire Slayer reboot. (Even if Joss Whedon was involved, I have no interest in a reboot. If Whedon were to be involved with a reunion, I'd definitely check that out, although I don't really need it.)

With that said, a Buffy reboot does not bother me. I quite simply do not care. Unless Malcolm McDowell comes to my house, I will not be forced to watch this new version. And, it's existence does not erase my Buffy or Angel DVDs.

Remakes, reboots and reimaginings are a part of life. They've been happening for years. A property is created by a person, but the companies that fund the creation have ownership. They have the legal rights to go back to the well on these things. And why shouldn't they? It's easier to hit the ground running with a known name as your vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I find this to be creatively bankrupt. This is akin to those horrible, cheaply produced DVDs that you see pop up in stores at the same time Disney movies come out based on public domain characters. It's about name recognition and trying to get the audiences attention in a sea of varying channels.

I'm one of those guys that didn't want a rebooted Star Trek. I said before that I'd rather see J.J. Abrams do his own space movie instead of labeling it Star Trek. But it doesn't matter what I want. "Star Trek" isn't mine. It's Paramount's. And "Star Trek" is going to make a million times more money than "Space Journey" or whatever wacky title Abrams would have come up with so they're going to use the name. Then it's up to me to decide if I want to watch it or not.

Same here, Internet. Buffy isn't ours. There were seven seasons of television goodness (for the most part) plus an excellent spin-off. And sequel comics for those that choose to read them. We own the feelings those shows gave us, but not the show itself.

Take ownership of your feelings now. Calm down and realize that the more upset you get about this reboot, the more attention it receives and the less the makers have to spend on publicizing it. Is that what you want?

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38