02 03 Nerd Lunch: Those '70s Shows 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Those '70s Shows

34
I'm a sucker for TV shows on DVD. And even more so when said TV shows are super cheap. Despite having too much going on in my life right now, I picked up hours upon hours of nerdy television goodness recently due to the low, low prices.

Gil Gerard headlines Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. This show was heavily inspired by the success of Star Wars and borrows heavily from the James Bond franchise as well. Over-ambitious in its goals, Buck Rogers fails to deliver on what could have been a serious social commentary on where our world is heading. I picked up the entire series (two seasons) for $10. As Twiki would say, "Bidi-bidi-bidi, that's a hard price to turn down!"

Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno star as David Banner and the Hulk respectively in The Incredible Hulk. Bixby is the ever-reliable, solid, stalwart scientist who has been cursed with this beast that lives within him. He is a trouble magnet and inevitably tries to do the right thing at the risk of becoming the Hulk, usually twice per episode. Very much inspired by The Fugitve, he wanders from town to town hoping to find a cure but usually getting wrapped up in some sort of protection scheme or drug deal situation gone wrong. The show lasted for five seasons and I managed to snag the complete set for less than $40.

The Incredible Hulk debuted when I was probably still in diapers. And Buck Rogers not too long after that. I have fond memories of both of these shows from my days as a wee lad. And I had great fun watching them later in reruns. I recall one summer spent watching The Incredible Hulk everyday on WGN. In spite of the fact that Buck was cheesy and schlocky and the Hulk was overly formulaic and predictable, these two shows certainly make up part of my "nerd DNA." I look forward to revisiting them in the coming weeks/months ahead.


Do you have any fond memories of these shows? What old shows, good or bad, make up your "nerd DNA"?

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38