02 03 Nerd Lunch: CT's Road Trip, part 3: The Freestyle 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

CT's Road Trip, part 3: The Freestyle

34
While in Illinois, I learned that one of the Jimmy Johns locations in Urbana had a Freestyle Coke fountain. Upon learning more about this, I had to make a stop to try this before heading back to Florida. For all I know, every Jimmy Johns might have one of these things and it's not a big deal. But it's new to me and I think it's very cool, if a bit overwhelming. You might check out this article for a bit more info about it.

This thing is the future when it comes to restaurant sodas. Every restaurant should have one. Or two. In fact, I'd like one for my own home even though Mountain Dew would not be a part of this. It seems a bit complex, but it's rather simple actually. The hard part is making the choice. Especially when you know you'll be heading 900 miles away from this soon and want to make the most of it.

First, you are presented with a selection of 22 base flavors. This is a touch screen panel because touch screen panels are in style now. Your choices are: Powerade, Hi-C, Dasani, Dasani Sensations, Vault, Powerade Zero, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola, Coke Zero, Barqs, Diet Barqs, Fanta Zero, Fanta, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper, Minute Maid Lemonade, Minute Maid Lemonade Light, Seagram's, and Water. Whew! (Note: This machine had Dr. Pepper but apparently other machines have Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero instead of the Peppers.)

Pressing each screen then takes you to another screen of options. I did not take the time to give you the breakdown for each base flavor.

In this case, I selected Coca-Cola and several different options came up including Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Lime Coke, regular coke, and the one I chose, Cherry Vanilla Coke.

Not every flavor had so many options. Coke and Coke Zero had eight different flavor options...

 ...where Vault only had five. I did get a Peach-flavored Vault refill which was quite tasty.

Now that we're back in Florida, I have been researching and discovered that there are two of these machines in the area. Further exploration of Tallahassee will be needed soon. I have downloaded an app for my iPhone that will take me to them and will allow me to play some sort of silly game but also gives me a breakdown of the types of drink choices to expect.

Today I covered the best drink experience during my trip, but on Friday I will recount a good portion of the hossin' I did on the trip including my in-person meet up with Jeeg and PLee. But check back on Wednesday for a post about the drive back to Florida.

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38