02 03 Nerd Lunch: Buckaroo at Midnight 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Buckaroo at Midnight

34
I mentioned on episode 23 of the Nerd Lunch Podcast that I would be going to the midnight showing of Buckaroo Banzai that was playing at FSU's Student Life Cinema. And I did just that. I was joined by Aaron Nix who was our guest on episode 22 and also Vince who I met when producing episode 1 of Nerd Lunch: The Web Series.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed but did get over that quickly. It was my understanding that this would be a print of the movie shown on their really nice theater. This was something I called and "confirmed" before showing up. When Aaron and I got there, we were shuffled into the second, "not-as-good" theater and just watched a DVD on a projection TV. You know, the DVD that I own. That I could watch at home. On my big screen TV. Not at midnight.

No matter. We made the choice to stay and it was still rather fun. I've talked before a couple times about how I like this movie, my history with it, so I won't rehash that here. But needless to say, this has been a long-time "go-to Saturday matinee" movie for me. It made into my "Rewatchable Film Festival" four and a half years ago and is a movie that I repeatedly find enjoyment out of no matter how many times I go back to it.

So since I had seen it so many times, I was actually able to enjoy the reactions of those around me. Now, I'm not one to really care about audience reaction, but this is such a quirky movie, that I really wondering how people would take to it.  Even though I really like this movie, I'll be the first to admit that there are some nonsensical things that happen. But that adds to the charm for me and give the world flavor and texture. So I was worried that the movie showing might turn into a huge episode of MST3K with 50 people chiming in with jokes instead of just three guys. That wasn't the case though. The crowd really seemed to get into it and there was lots of appropriate laughter. Hopefully a new group of Buckaroo Banzai fans were born that night (although the girl sitting behind me and Aaron was probably not one of them).

All in all, a fun time even if it wasn't a print and was up past my bedtime.

This report on the movie also serves as my first entry into the League of Extraordinary Bloggers. Brian over at Cool and Collected has set up a fun little program were a bunch of bloggers all post about the same topic and share links to the other blogs. Great idea. This week's topic was your "go-to matinee." Great timing!

Check out some of the other blogs on this topic:


Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38