02 03 Nerd Lunch: LXB: Top Ten Movies I Can't Wait to Watch with My Kids 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

LXB: Top Ten Movies I Can't Wait to Watch with My Kids

34

It's well past time for me to participate in a League post again. It's long overdue so I thought I'd chime in on this week's topic which is to pick the top ten movies. The specifics are left up to us to decide. We've done some lists before on the blog. Almost five years ago, I planned a weekend home alone around ten of my favorite rewatchable movies. We've also ranked the Pixar movies and our favorite comic book films. Even though the comic book list has changed since 2009, there is too much on the horizon for me to deal with that list again right now. We also tackled an existing sci-fi movies list and busted that on the podcast.

My daughter recently turned 8 and my son is 3. As they get older, I am allowing them to watch more and more things. My daughter and I already have plans to check out Avengers soon and then we're going to read through a Narnia book or three and watch those movies. She has not watched PG-13 movies yet, but I've deemed these as okay for her. That said, I'm still hesitant to break out certain films with them for various reasons. And while I am in no hurry for them to grow up, I am looking forward to watching some movies with them when they get older if they are still interested in hanging out with ol' dad.

(Note: I'm sure I'll be thought of as a bit old-fashioned or an old fuddy duddy or not having let my children watch some of this stuff yet, but so it goes.)

10. Mean Girls
I thought this was a phenomenally well-written movie that had a great message of self-respect and how to treat others. Lindsey Lohan impressed me in this movie and I had hoped she would go onto greatness. Tina Fey put together a great script and what could have been a silly, little high school rom-com became so much more. But my children, particularly my daughter, are not ready for the themes and language of this movie. But at some point in their high school years, this might be a good one to break out and enjoy watching with them.

9. Buckaroo Banzai
I mentioned this in my last League post so I thought I'd mention it again in this one. This very well could be the kind of movie that my kids will hate the first time I show it to them. I don't want to introduce this too early and have them develop a nostalgic hatred for it. Instead I want to develop an appreciation for the roots of Buckaroo Banzai over the next few years so that when I break this one out, they have a head start on getting it.

8. Super 8
I really dug this movie and the whole time I was watching it, I thought my girl would enjoy the aspect of this kid trying to make a movie in the midst of wackiness. It's a modern-day Goonies and in a couple years, she may be ready for the level of suspense in this movie.

7. The A-Team
I have enjoyed sharing The A-Team television series with my children already. The content in this movie is turned up a few notches so I don't think they are ready for it, but once we've worked our way through the series (could still take a few years at the pace we're going), it will be time to share this one.

6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
This is one I'm more excited about sharing with my son some day. My daughter may like it, too, but just seeing the track my boy is on, he'll be all over this movie once he's ready for it. I think it would be lost on him somewhat now (as Star Wars was when I first showed it to him) and he gets a bit too animated after watching things that I fear what will be turned into a whip after he watches it. Just a few more years yet on this one.

5. Serenity
Not really sure when the kids will be ready for this one and the Firefly series. Not really going to worry about that right now, but in several years, after they have seen Firefly, we'll check this movie out. (TV shows I want to watch with my kids could be a whole separate list.)

4. James Bond
So this one and the rest of the list refer to not just one movie but a franchise. With this franchise, I could probably start introducing some of the movies now, but I fear it would be lost on them. The Roger Moore movies might be okay to introduce, but I'd hate to make that their first Bond. But that said, I'd love to sit around all day some Saturday with the kids and just watch Bond movies.

3. Lord of the Rings
As with the Bond films, I'd love to waste an entire Saturday and just watch straight through these films with the kids. 

2. Spider-Man
This one actually might encompass more than just Spider-Man, but Spider-Man is the one I would start with and relatively soon. Frustratingly, most of the comic book movies of the past few years have been PG-13. This is mostly because of action, but other elements as well. (The MPAA rating system really needs an overhaul.) Anyway, my kids would love to see some of these movies and while I'm ready to show Avengers, some of the other super hero movies I'm not ready to share yet. But I'll have Spider-Man and a whole stack of others to share soon.

1. Back to the Future
One of my all-time favorite film franchise, this might be the one I can't wait to share the most. I'd be keen on sharing it now except there is quite a bit of language in this movie that I'm not ready for them to hear. So a few more years or maybe try to catch a TV version. I've also been wondering if this is a movie that would be a bit lost on my children's generation. I could relate to the 80s being a child of the 80s and then enjoy the fish out of water aspect of Marty being in the 50s. Maybe a remake of this movie is in order with a 2015 version of Marty traveling back to 1985 and seeing his parents. That might appeal much more to my children than the original. I don't know. Seems sacrilege to suggest, but I think BTTF is a movie that brings generations together and an updated version could do the same for the next generation.

Check out some other LXB posts:

Cavalcade of Awesome
Movie Hodge Podge
Michael May

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38