(Nerd) Lunch Special: Cheerwine


cheerwine1Cheerwine is one of those southern delicacies, like Chick-fil-A and Waffle House, that I had long heard about on the Internet but never had the chance to try. However, back in the fall I paid a visit to the old Nerd Lunch stomping grounds of Central Illinois and found that a longtime favorite store, Friar Tuck, now carries specialty sodas like Red Rock Cola and Cheerwine. I took advantage of the situation and loaded up my trunk with a selection of beverages, including my first ever bottle of Cheerwine.

 

Cheerwine falls into the dark/caramel soda class with colas and Dr. Pepper-like drinks. Flavor-wise I think it most closely resembles a muted Dr. Pepper with a stronger cherry flavor. Oh, like Dr. Pepper Cherry or the homemade version of cherry DP my family has made using grenadine. The flavor balance of Cheerwine is quite nice though not as unique as I was expecting. It’s definitely tasty, but not as transcendent or as difficult to replicate as Red Rock. Luckily Cheerwine appears to be available at many Cracker Barrel location so those of you in the chain restaurant belt of America shouldn’t have to go far to give it a try.

4 comments:

ShezCrafti said...

Cheerwine is so good. I get it everytime I go down to Myrtle Beach for vacation. We don't have any up here in Maryland.

Jack said...

A softer, gentler Dr. Pepper with a cherry flavor, you say? Honey, call the travel agent!

Paxton said...

I agree with you, Jeeg. Cheerwine is good, but not great. I enjoy it. Hell, I have a few cans right here on my desk right now. But I don't just adore it like I do Red Rock or even a Pepsi Max.

Robert said...

Tried it recently at a Cracker Barrel. I'm seeing it more and more in grocery stores. Not a fan.

Copyright © Nerd Lunch